The next progression in a Biomedical Equipment Technician’s career, a BMET III usually has a two or four-year degree or the associated experience to maintain most patient care equipment, including some specialized devices. A BMET III has a working knowledge of schematics and a mastery of skills associated with the maintenance of medical equipment. This technician can work independently on repairs and calibrations; maintains accurate and complete service records and coordinates/manages vendor repairs and can step in as a key decision maker in the absence of the Account Manager. A BMET III strives for further education and responsibility and is well on-track to become a Certified Biomedical Equipment Technician (CBET) or similar. A BMET III is essential to the RENOVO program in setting an example for junior technicians and apprentices; demonstrating solid technical, problem solving, administrative and customer service skills. As a BMET III, the individual could continue their development into a supervisory role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assemble, maintain, and repair basic and advanced electronic devices according to their specifications
- Maintain and repair life-support and other high-risk patient care and diagnostic equipment
- Helps to manage the facility’s scheduled maintenance program
- Accurately documents all activities in the preferred computerized medical maintenance system, follows up with customer at each delay, repair milestone, or completion
- Drives and maintains departmental performance standards and goals
- Diagnoses and solves system and equipment malfunctions by making repairs or replacements in accordance to the system’s technical specifications or requirements
- Takes first call on all facility devices and coordinates vendors and provides timely follow-up to the customer
- Researches and orders parts to perform repairs and maintenance
- Provides technical in-service or instruction to Facility staff in proper operation of patient care equipment
- Demonstrates cost containment and financial acumen
- Maintains a good personal relationship with fellow co-workers, hospital staff, and vendors
- Acts as supervisor when direct manager is not on-site
- Provides mentoring and training to Biomedical Equipment Technicians and apprentices
- Meets department performance indicator standards on a regular basis
- Maintains a clean and safe workspace
- Participates in facility on-call rotation
- Complies with all facility specific policies and procedures
- Works closely with management to develop and implement a plan for professional growth
- Involved with Medical Device recalls and safety alerts; coordinates with manufacturers and vendors to provide accurate information to the facility and prompt resolution of any issues
- Performs other duties as assigned**
- Possesses a comprehensive knowledge of electromechanical devices and principles, as well as a thorough understanding of general patient care equipment and can demonstrate the usage of supported devices
- Has extensive understanding of life-support and diagnostic support devices and their usage within the healthcare setting
- Has a mastery of one or more devices or modalities (ex. Patient Monitoring) and is seen widely as an expert on the topic
- Accountability – takes ownership of assigned work and responsibilities, follows through and closes the loop
- Communication – clearly expresses thoughts and ideas both in written and verbal communications, provides timely information
- Financial Acumen – Considers financial impact of all decisions
- Integrity – Can admit mistakes, is direct and truthful
- Customer Service – demonstrates a “customer-first” mentality, focused on meeting the needs of customers and captures feedback to make improvements
- Priority Setting – Prioritizes assigned schedules and workload
- Knowledge – Mastery understanding of general and life-support patient care devices and certain diagnostic equipment. Has specialized in one or more devices and/or modalities
- Team Building – Mentors newer technicians, facilitates clear communication amongst the team, demonstrates care and respect for co-workers and colleagues
- Supervision – Can act as a supervisor to the rest of the team when called upon, build relationships with the account and is seen as a leader within the organization
- Regulatory – knows the various accrediting agencies (TJC, DNV, CAP, DOH) and how the Medical Equipment Management Plan complies
- Giving Feedback – Provides constructive feedback towards department goals and activities, helps to foster growth within the team
- Culture – promotes the RENOVO culture and the culture of the healthcare facility
- Mechanically inclined – technical skills and abilities to figure out how things work
- Self-motivated – can work on their own or under limited direction while prioritizing equipment schedules and repair activities. Advanced projects or activities require supervision
- Open-minded – Willing to listen to opinions and criticism, can switch directions quickly
- Agility – Can perform tasks in a safe, timely manner
- Improvement – willing to learn and grow, wants to update job skills for career growth
- Confidence – Self-reliant decision maker that doesn’t second guess decisions
- Multi-tasker – Is organized and efficient, handles multiple projects or tasks simultaneously
- Results Driven: Is focused on results and outcomes, is goal oriented
- Humility – Has a sense of humor, is humble, and can handle stressful situations
- S. Diploma or equivalent required
- Technical Certificate or DOD training required
- College Degree, Certification, or other higher level of education pertaining to this job description preferred
- CBET or similar preferred
Required Work Hours
Forty hours per week during daytime and evening hours. Scheduled work hours may change. Overtime may be required or permitted with prior approval. This position is included in the on-call rotation for the facility.
Reporting and Supervisory Responsibilities
- The BMET III reports to – Manager, Biomedical Engineering
- This position has some supervisory responsibilities
The BMET III must be able to speak, hear, see, read, write, type, dial, reach, bend, climb, crawl, crouch, kneel, squat, and twist. Must have near vision, far vision, depth perception, and be able to distinguish colors. Must have sensory ability to distinguish hot, cold, range of temperatures, surfaces, fine motor skills, manual dexterity, and detect/distinguish odors. Must be able to carry or lift up to 50 pounds routinely.
Travel will not be required for this position, unless otherwise specified. Rarely, if any travel, including airline travel and overnight stays, may be requested.
Understand and observe company policies and procedures.
Utilize teamwork in your daily activity and insure customer satisfaction.
- Housekeeping – Maintain a clean, orderly appearance of all work areas.
- Personal appearance – Must observe company dress code always and must have good personal hygiene.
- Maintain all RENOVO owned equipment including tools, test equipment, computers, and others as specified in proper working condition and ensure annual calibration where appropriate.
RENOVO Solutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, RENOVO Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
RENOVO Solutions expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of RENOVO’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.