As a hybrid biomedical equipment/IT technician, a Clinical Systems Engineer usually has a four-year degree or the associated experience to maintain a diverse population of patient care equipment and networked medical devices. A Clinical Systems Engineer has a good knowledge of electronics, schematics, computer operating systems, networking, and security. This individual must have strong project management skills and organizational skills. Often, they must collaborate with the Director of Biomedical Engineering and the facility’s IT department and must demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for support and oversight of the clinical information systems under his/her care. This includes the tracking of hardware (configuration items), software and network documentation.
- Provides user support, systems technical service and support, and participates in system projects as requested.
- Coordinates and/or implements software patches / updates in collaboration with Clinical Staff, Original Equipment Manufactures and the Hospitals IT Department.
- Demonstrates cost containment and financial acumen
- Maintains a good personal relationship with fellow co-workers, hospital staff, and vendors
- Provides mentoring and training to Biomedical Equipment Technicians and apprentices
- Maintains an accurate inventory of Networked Medical Devices or devices containing ePHI
- Works with IT and security staff to identify and mitigate risks; helps to enforce policies and procedures on medical devices and systems
- Utilizes system management tools and industry best practices to asses security vulnerabilities and risk to medical devices
- Uses project management tools to manage system implementations and change management procedures
- Acts as a consultant to the facility regarding system hardware/software evaluation and selection
- Coordinates installation and maintenance of networked medical devices containing PC hardware with facility IT department
- Performs other duties as assigned**
- Possesses a comprehensive knowledge of electromechanical devices and principles, as well as a thorough understanding of general patient care equipment and can demonstrate the usage of supported devices
- Basic understanding of life-support and diagnostic support devices and their usage within the healthcare setting
- Configuration of computer hardware and software
- Use and management of operating systems including Microsoft, Linux/Unix and RTOS
- Configuration and deployment of computer software support tools (i.e. Configuration, Remote Management, Antivirus, Backup and Recovery, Monitoring tools, etc.)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products, and the creation of network diagrams using Microsoft Visio or similar software
- Configuration of basic network components and understanding of routing and subnetting processes
- Application of CIS, NIST, HITRUST best practices and guidelines to technology devices & systems
- Knowledge and understanding of human anatomy and physiology
- Accountability – takes ownership of assigned work and responsibilities, follows through and closes the loop
- Communication – clearly expresses thoughts and ideas both in written and verbal communications, provides timely information
- Financial Acumen – Considers financial impact of all decisions
- Integrity – Can admit mistakes, is direct and truthful
- Customer Service – demonstrates a “customer-first” mentality, focused on meeting the needs of customers and captures feedback to make improvements
- Priority Setting – Prioritizes assigned schedules and workload
- Knowledge – Stay current with technological developments, security trends and best practices in the information technology field.
- Information Technology – Possesses knowledge and understanding of basic IT terminology as it pertains to medical devices and facility IT systems
- Team Building – Mentors newer technicians, facilitates clear communication amongst the team, demonstrates care and respect for co-workers and colleagues
- Regulatory – understands the various regulations and best practices that apply to the HTM space (HIPAA, HITECH, Omnibus, SOC, COBIT, ITIL)
- Culture – promotes the Vision, Mission and Values that make up the RENOVO culture as well as the culture of the healthcare facility
- Mechanically inclined – technical skills and abilities to figure out how things work
- Self-motivated – can work on their own or under limited direction while prioritizing equipment schedules and repair activities. Advanced projects or activities require supervision
- Open-minded – Willing to listen to opinions and criticism, can switch directions quickly
- Agility – Can break complex projects into smaller iterative tasks
- Improvement – willing to learn and grow, wants to update job skills for career growth
- Confidence – Self-reliant decision maker that doesn’t second guess decisions
- Multi-tasker – Is organized and efficient, handles multiple projects or tasks simultaneously
- S. Diploma or equivalent required
- Technical Certificate or DOD training required
- 4-year College Degree, Certification, or other higher level of education pertaining to this job description preferred
- CompTIA A+ & Network+ or equivalent certification
- CISSP, CCNA, MSCE desired
Required Work Hours
Forty hours per week during daytime and evening hours. Scheduled work hours may change. Overtime may be required or permitted with prior approval. This position may be included in the on-call rotation for the facility.
Reporting and Supervisory Responsibilities
- The Clinical Systems Engineer reports to – Manager, Biomedical Engineering
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
The Clinical Systems Engineer must be able to speak, hear, see, read, write, type, dial, reach, bend, climb, crawl, crouch, kneel, squat, and twist. Must have near vision, far vision, depth perception, and be able to distinguish colors. Must have sensory ability to distinguish hot, cold, range of temperatures, surfaces, fine motor skills, manual dexterity, and detect/distinguish odors. Must be able to carry or lift up to 50 pounds routinely.
Travel will be required for this position, unless otherwise specified. Total travel based on project needs and locations
Understand and observe company policies and procedures.
Utilize teamwork in your daily activity and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Housekeeping – Maintain a clean, orderly appearance of all work areas.
- Personal appearance – Must observe company dress code always and must have good personal hygiene.
- Maintain all RENOVO owned equipment including tools, test equipment, computers, and others as specified in proper working condition and ensure annual calibration where appropriate.
RENOVO Solutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, RENOVO Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
RENOVO Solutions expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of RENOVO’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.